Monday, October 19, 2009

First Day of Homeschooling

Today marks the first day of officially being a full time homeschooling mom. Frank's last day of school was this past Friday. I woke up at 6:30 just as planned, and when I was done getting ready, I left my room and discovered both Frank and Natalie up and ready for the day--it was only 6:50 and their alarms were not scheduled to go off until 7:00. Frank came running up to me telling me he'd woken up at 6:13 and got up and did all his morning chores in 17 minutes and that he was ready to help me make breakfast. I guess he was a little excited at the prospect of homeschooling.

Frank helped me make pancakes and coffee. He set the table. And he was very proud to tell Daddy that he helped make breakfast. Natalie got all ready and did her morning chores without complaint (which is not her usual). I think maybe she was excited about Frank not going to school anymore, also.

After breakfast, Natalie cleaned up the kitchen without complaining (again, not usual for her). Then we started our morning with a short prayer time and launched into school. I told the kids that our goal was to finish as fast as we could so we would have time to enjoy our beautiful fall day by going to the zoo. We were all done by 9:25, so we loaded up in the car and drove to the zoo.

The zoo was deserted, but we had fun anyway. We learned about the continents this morning, so I asked the kids to look at the information boards and tell me which continent each of the animals are from. Then I read the information boards on each animal so we could learn a little about them. We even had time to play on the playground when we were done and we had races on the slides.
Over all, I would say Day 1 of homeschooling was a smashing success! I can't promise every day will be as fun as today, but I think it will go well for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment